Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Motion Potion

So we've all learned through time and experience that not all motion sensors are created equal. Kind of like me and the leggy model on the cover of the magazine I just received in the mail.

Anyhow, on my latest venture cross country I had TWO episodes that about threw me overboard with the issue at hand - motion sensors. If you've been anywhere public lately, you will have noticed that the filthy, levered, paper towel dispensers are a thing of the past. We are now blessed with wonderful motion sensor dispensers that spit out hand towels and save us from germs and wet handles (ick!). I realize that we are a bit jaded regarding motion sensors due to the ineffective motion sensor toilets that we've all experienced. Nothing worse than preparing the loo only to have it flush on you right at the get go! Then, of course, once the time arrives and it should flush, it doesn't! Then, much to my dismay, it leaves us dancing around the stall like a bunch of monkeys trying to achieve the desired goal. FLUSH THE DANG TOILET ALREADY! After moments of pondering "what to do", our inner show girl mentality "kicks" in and we hoist our foot up to press the button on the wall (you know, the button that's there "just in case" the sensor doesn't work).

Now, I ask you... which is more gross. Shoe to the button (and or flush lever), or hand? That's just too much for me to get into right now. Either grosses me out. In general, I try to avoid public restrooms.

Back to the issue at hand. They are called MOTION SENSORS, not impact sensors. First I was in the Chicago airport and these two women are talking up a storm, washing their hands (thank you!) and then they sauntered over to the towel dispenser and one of them wHaCkS the sensor! It dispensed the towel, then she WhAcKeD it again! I'm telling you, this was a full contact sport for this woman. I thought to myself "wow, that's a way to get it done". But then I took a moment and thought "what if you had a motion sensor, and instead of giving the appropriate motion, I beat the living dickens out of you to get the response I wanted"? Needless to say, I let it go and tucked the episode in my pocket for later thought.

Not 48 hours later, I was in the Indianapolis airport and there was another woman SmAcKiNg the crap out of the paper towel dispenser! Hello! I don't hear anyone in there wrestling with the toilets! Come on people! Give it a try! Watch and learn... everyone else is figuring it out, join us!

Heavens, my airport stories are endless. I could go on for days and days. Maybe someday I will. Until then, please treat the paper towel dispensers that have motion sensors nicely and let them do their job! Maybe if we followed directions and quit being so dang impatient, we'd notice that it would work just fine without beating it to death!

No comments:

Post a Comment